Yes, yes, I know tomatoes and jam is an oxymoron, but when I spotted a recipe for tomato jam that included chocolate, I was hooked. After all, I had tasted and enjoyed tomato sorbet which is another sweet treatment for my favorite garden edible, so I was willing to give jam a try. To clinch the matter, the recipe called for 5 pounds of tomatoes which would put a dent in my accumulated stores on my kitchen counter.
The recipe that I found called for black brandywine tomatoes. I did not grow that variety this year, so just used the various varieties that I had on hand.
I used an immersion blender to get most of the lumps out as it is so convenient and saves tremendously on cleanup. If you don’t have one, you could easily use a blender or food processor, but put an immersion blender on your Christmas list as it will make your cooking life sooo much easier.
I used my jam on freshly fried corn fritters and it was delicious!
- Tomato butter (csmonitor.com)
- Family Recipe Friday: Tomato Jam (suitcasefullofmemories.me)
- Tomato Soup, Homemade Tomato Soup, Tomato Soup Recipes | Pottery Barn (potterybarn.com)
- It’s Tomato Time (ladysorghum.wordpress.com)
- Simple Cooking: Savory Cherry Tomato Jam (chicagoist.com)
- In A Jam With A Tomato (flourgirl.typepad.com)